Sound of voice and circle of protection

Rules Discussion
Landoriin
Player
Character Name: Droth

Sound of voice and circle of protection

Post by Landoriin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:07 pm

Can you cast sound of voice spells while in a circle of protection?
There is no light or dark, there is only the grey. Balance. The balance holds me together. Chaos yet order, passion yet apathy. I am the keeper of the shrine, guardian of balance. I am the wielder of earth, a soldier of balance. I am a Champion of Aja

CarlyM
Regular
Character Name: Minkar Coill

Re: Sound of voice and circle of protection

Post by CarlyM » Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 am

I don't think this question was answered.

I believe a person inside a CoP cannot cast anything while inside a CoP. It would otherwise dispell the circle.
I suspect that a person inside a Major Circle of Protection would be able to cast, as that is the only type of CoP I'm familiar with that allows at least for the casting of magic.

Can a staffer confirm any element of this? Thanks! <3
-Mink Coill

deravyn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Character Name: Zharehn

Post by deravyn » Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Landoriin wrote:Can you cast sound of voice spells while in a circle of protection?
...This spell allows the caster (and no one else) to step inside a circle and raise a defensive shield. Nothing may pass in or out of the barrier...

To the best of my knowledge, there is no exception to the above rule in the case of Sound of Voice spells in either direction.

deravyn
Site Admin
Site Admin
Character Name: Zharehn

Post by deravyn » Tue May 09, 2017 7:17 pm

And, I will provide a more concise answer based on my understandings while trying to avoid FOIG info.

CoP allows you to step into the protection of the circle, it does not prevent you from casting spells upon yourself while in the circle or performing other actions upon yourself while protected. It just prevents incoming and outgoing effects (spells, physical contact, etc)...

So based on that, you could theoretically cast a SoV spell that you know upon yourself (provided that you are a valid target for said spell) but you would have to cast it in a way that only you could hear it and clarify if someone else did hear it that they should not take the effect. Any other incantation of a SoV spell while within a standard CoP, would IMO, be a violation of the spirit of the rules as it would be confusion to those who heard it whether they should take the effect or not.

Hope that clears things up for you.

L

Landoriin
Player
Character Name: Droth

Post by Landoriin » Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks Larry :D
There is no light or dark, there is only the grey. Balance. The balance holds me together. Chaos yet order, passion yet apathy. I am the keeper of the shrine, guardian of balance. I am the wielder of earth, a soldier of balance. I am a Champion of Aja