Touch Spell Questions

Rules Discussion
MichaelL
Player

Touch Spell Questions

Post by MichaelL » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:42 pm

First:
I've seen reference to the fact that you need a free hand to cast spells, does this count for touch spells or just those with packets? For instance, if I'm wielding a sword and shield could I cast the defensive spells that grant resistances/armor from the Beta Array Praxis during the middle of a fight, or would I have to have a free hand (i.e. not have a shield in my off hand) in order to do so?

Second:
Sorta related, under the Beta Array header it states that in order to get Beta Array Mastery you need to have purchased Force Armor and Displacement. Should this be Force Armor and Repulsion (the two Focus perks), considering the Alpha Array and Gamma Array Masteries require you to buy the two Focus perks first? Seemed logical that it should follow with the pattern of the others, so I wasn't sure if this was intentional or not.

Thanks for the help!

Boom
Cast

Re: Touch Spell Questions

Post by Boom » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:39 am

1: From rulebook, under Combat Rules.

"Non-packet-based spells do not require a free hand when being cast on items that are held in your own hands or worn on your person, or to create effects that affect your person. A free hand is required to cast a non-packet spell on another person or item that they possess."

2: Your conclusion seems likely, but we will need to consult with Rule Master Nick.

Boom

MichaelL
Player

Post by MichaelL » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:33 pm

Somehow I totally missed that section when I went through the rulebook looking for the answer. Thanks!

ambisinister
Site Admin
Site Admin
Character Name: Nick Tad Valor Vale

Post by ambisinister » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Boom is correct on both accounts.