Latex Weapons Testing

Discussion of all things relating to weapons, armor, costuming and props within the game.
Erica
Owner
Owner

Latex Weapons Testing

Post by Erica » Thu May 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Latex Weapons Testing

One of the things we are doing this season is starting our tests to see if Rubber and Latex weapons are something we want to include in our weapons build options to help bring up the aesthetics of the game.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there about Latex weaponry from when it was first introduced to the larp market and it is important to note that the technology has advanced quite a bit from those first iterations.

Some information:
Latex weaponry is used extensively in the European larp community. It is seen as safer then boff weapons due to the uniformity of construction as well as providing a high level of visual appeal. Keep in mind though, European larps often do not allow thrusting as many latex weapons do not have safe thrusting tips, they are generally lightest touch combat, and they do not allow head shots.

Personally (and one of the big reasons we are testing these weapons), those of us who have used steel weapons before find the latex and rubber weapons to be lot of fun to fight with, even over boff weapons. They “stick” far more realistically and the rubber weapons at least offer a much more realistic weight. They also encourage the use of tactics and skill over speed and “flailing”, which in turn encourages folks to become better fighters overall.

The latex weapons we have looked at are all sound and seem well constructed, the only point of concern that has been raised revolves around the tips and the flexibility of the weapon on thrusts. Latex and rubber weapons DO hit more solidly then boff weapons. However, in the practices that Sean and I have used them in (which is generally full speed combat), the “sting” is tolerable to us and those we are practicing with, however people have different pain thresholds so this is something to explore.

How testing will happen:

For this first game, latex and rubber weapons will only be allowed in the hands of those folks who have proven to Sean and I that they are capable of fighting safely with them. That is Sean, myself, and possible one or two other cast members.

When we are out in a fight with latex/rubber weapons, we will be off to the side looking to be engaged by willing players. If you engage us you are agreeing to be hit by the weapons. Please do not take advantage of these situations for purposes of the combat (such as tactically ignoring us since we will not be chasing players down). We NEED to see how the weapons fight in larger group combat.

I will be going out Sat afternoon (around 1p) with our armoury. Players interested in testing out and playing with the latex weapons are welcome to do so at that time. I will go over the basics of what we are looking for for safe fighting and have you spar with A) me, and B) each other using various weapon combinations. I recommend folks check it out and see for themselves what it is like. IF I find there are players who can pass my safety requirements, we may ask one or two folks to hold onto and use some of the weapons, so our cast can experience what it feels like on the other side as well.

Safety requirements for latex/rubber weapon use:
-You will need to show that you understand that safety for your opponent(s) are the priority.
-You will need to show that you can fight with control and restrain your blows to lightest touch in all circumstances.
-No headshots will be allowed currently with latex and rubber weaponry. You will need to show that you can avoid the head area, even on unintentional movements of your opponent.
-Thrusts must be executed with caution and a good sense of distance.
-You know proper sword care and maintenance (inspect the weapon before/between fights, store/carry it properly etc)

We will be testing the latex and rubber weapons for as long as we deem it necessary to establish whether they are right for our game or not. This could take a season or a year or more. To that end we need your feedback. Once you’ve experienced how they fight in game (on the fighting or receiving end) we need to know what you think. Remember each fight is different so do try to get in multiple encounters with them before forming your opinion.

IF we find that latex/rubber weapons are acceptable, our intended policy (right now) is:
-Only people (players and cast) who can meet our safety requirements and are approved will be allowed to fight with latex/rubber weapons.
-You will need to prove you can meet the safety requirements. If you can do so you will be allowed to use latex weapons on probation for one game. We reserve the right to pull that approval at any time during the probation period. After that you are considered approved with no reservation.
-Once a year we will ask you to do a sparring session with one of our testers to make sure you can still fight safely with the weaponry.
-Latex/rubber weapons will be checked every game during weapons inspection, just like all weaponry.

Thanks!
Erica and Sean
ToV

DanceWithSnakes
Regular
Character Name: Ayita Jahara Kamaria

Re: Latex Weapons Testing

Post by DanceWithSnakes » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Hate to necro a thread, but if a new player is coming into game and wants to use a latex weapon, how will they go about getting 'tested' to see if they can use it IG?
" She is Beauty and Rage..." ~ Gray
Artist:NeNhttp://retromortis.deviantart.com/?rnrd=163556

Erica
Owner
Owner

Re: Latex Weapons Testing

Post by Erica » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:41 am

We're going to be reviewing the latex weapon testing from this past season. For a new person, they can test out before game on with myself or an appointed tester.

Erica