Any Word on IDV Arrows?

Discussion of all things relating to weapons, armor, costuming and props within the game.
Darin
Player
Character Name: Ian ApLowrie

Re: Any Word on IDV Arrows?

Post by Darin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 am

Not at night needs some discussion, but certainly, especially if we go with the "only as far back as needed" pull idea, you need visibility...if opponent is hard to see, no shooting. "Not at night" restricts use in tavern, during full moon, etc. when there is visibility, but I get and agree with the intent, if I can't see it well, I can't gauge distance and therefore cannot safely shoot it. (since this is a test run, it will likely apply this event, but it may be worth discussion in the future)
-Ian Ap'Lowrey

Sean
Owner
Owner
Character Name: Owner

Post by Sean » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:27 pm

This event, and likely in the future, not at night.

Sean

JenC
Player

Post by JenC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:44 pm

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/travers ... ngbow.html

I believe this is my bow exactly . It looks spot on for fantasy larp, although the original string was white and blue. I duct tape my arrows alternating green and purple, which makes them stand out better for retrieval. I had to replace the grip though.

There are some videos online of people testing the idv arrows with eye socket models. Pretty neat. I trust the quality control of the company that makes them but I do not trust the homemade versions that I've seen at other games.

I have two safety things to add-

Arrows that accidentally hit a rigid mask will transfer their force into the mask and negate the padding effect of the arrow. If someone has a rigid mask or one of those helmets with the face bits hanging down, my suggestion would be that archers cannot aim at or near them.

Finally, if your arrows are stripped like mine, always make sure you are picking up an arrow, not a snake.

JenC
Player

Post by JenC » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:51 pm

I missed the second page of this post, but I wanted to add that the difficulties of RETREIVING arrows at night should make any PC fine with a no archery at night rule. Those arrows are expensive!

I'm also not a fan of archery indoors. The 25# bows allow distance and accuracy undreamed of with the foam finger arrows, and should be used at a range longer than you are likely to get in the tavern. I also feel like archery in a crowed tavern is just asking for trouble.

Darin
Player

Post by Darin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:45 am

They have my "ghetto tillerin' stick", but they'll need a scale to measure it correctly (looks like that bow also doesn't have "25#" written on it, so). Looks like it should be fine.
-Ian Ap'Lowrey

JenC
Player

Post by JenC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:24 pm

I stopped being quite so lazy and went down to my basement arsenal/costume closet. It did come with the draw weight carved into it.

(Although I think all bows should be tested anyway. More safety is rarely a bad thing!)

JenC
Player

Post by JenC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:37 pm

The other thing for archers to remember is that people are going to walk ALL OVER the arrow shafts in those big battles and those babies are gonna break. Another reason for duct tape coating.

Here's the safety test thing I mentioned earlier. Granted, its by the manufacturer.

http://www.idv-engineering.de/html/eye_safety.html

drucilla
Player
Character Name: shaenara

Post by drucilla » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:12 pm

wondering what the verdict is after this initial test. also, would anyone else be able to test them? i myself am interested in them. i don't own any as of yet, but am very curious about them. thanks.
Shaenara of Bear

Erica
Owner
Owner

Post by Erica » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:03 pm

We are still waiting to see what feedback we have after the normal PEL submission time, which is not until the end of this week.

Currently we do not own any IDV arrows/proper poundage bows so we cannot loan nor test the system out. I cannot recommend that people go out and purchase it themselves as we have not reached a conclusion on the test and cannot guarantee that they will be allowed once we've seen enough testing to reach a conclusion. You may of course do so, and we will continue our testing in game...I just don't recommend it due to the cost and lack of guarantee of use in the long run atm.

Erica

Darin
Player

Post by Darin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:01 pm

just checking that the testing phase is still happening, yes? (also, I may want to go to the darkside a bit this next event, to show the players some arrow-y love).

Also, I modified mine in a way that makes them somewhat safer (for everyone but me): "speed nocks"; idea was I wanted to increase rate of loosing and decrease string ware, so I replaced the plastic target nock with a nerf dart and duct tape. While I still don't reccomend throwing arrows nock-first at someone's eyes, the nerf-darts do seem a little bit safer, since they're less likley to cut into you if you do walk into aan arrow bouncing backwards*...

*A common fear but still not something I have seen actually happen in the field... though I have hit myself in my basement, but that required a number of archery no-nos: (1)full draw at (2)close range, (3) shooting a flat hard target (refrigerator) Even then, i had to try and hit myself (yes, I did it on purpose because, well, thought it would bee fun). They do bounce more off of walls than people.
-Ian Ap'Lowrey

Erica
Owner
Owner

Post by Erica » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:27 pm

Yes testing is still happening. I acquired an appropriate bow and some test arrows for staff testing as well for this spring. The players will get a chance to feel some coming from the other side.

Erica

Darin
Player

Post by Darin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:47 pm

...and now we'll all lean why I wear a sporran.
-Ian Ap'Lowrey

Randellflagg
Player
Character Name: Randell Flagg

Post by Randellflagg » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:20 am

Do the low speed arrows have a better chance of passing I don't want to drop 150$ on a chance but I don't know what else to do.

http://www.calimacil.com/idv-low-speed- ... range.html

llanderknight
Regular
Character Name: Qadir

Post by llanderknight » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:52 am

These are very similar to the design I created for MJ's boffer arrows about 10 years ago, and they are still using. The flatface allows the arrow to drop straight down after impact without "rolling" on the ball face of the others. If these pass...Qadir might pick up a bow! :)

Brandon

Erica
Owner
Owner

Post by Erica » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:14 pm

While we have not made any final decisions we definitely like how the low speed arrows hit softer compared to the other ones and if we pass idv, it will likely be with those arrows.

Erica